Sunday, November 30, 2014

Oklahoma!

Last weekend, we wrapped up Oklahoma! And once again, a wonderful orchestra experience. I love playing with SLOC. The production is always top-notch, but this group holds a special place in my musical heart since I played my first musical since 1982 with them in 2010 with the Music Man. And what better musical to return to for a trombonist?

I also gained a real appreciation for Oklahoma! during the production, particularly the sophistication of the musical themes and the use of classical dance in the Dream Ballet and elsewhere.

And it's always a pleasure to share the pit with Bob (below).



My part this time was the "optional" 2nd trombone part. I quickly began to appreciate that in this case "optional" is by no means "extraneous!" The part didn't have as many notes as the 1st part, but the range was all over the place - way below the staff to way above. I found myself playing with the trumpets and horns as often as with Bob.

Bob and I will play together in Patience this spring, this time with me on the 1st book.

No comments: